Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple calls it 'magical'

Apple CEO Steve Jobs shows off the new iPad
during an event Wednesday. By the way,
am I the only one who thinks he looks
like he's going to kiss it? (Paul Sakuma/AP)
The iPad, Apple's new entry in the tablet category, is finally here, ladies and gentlemen.

General reception, besides some snickering at the name (come on, I heard you laughing, too), seems fairly positive. But, what does it offer besides a pretty display? Will it have the easy elegance and power that the iPhone offers?

The basics:
• The iPad has a 9.7-inch touch screen, is a half-inch thick, weighs 1.5 pounds
• It comes with 16, 32 or 64 gigabytes of flash memory storage
• The basic models will cost $499, $599 and $699, depending on the storage size
• All models have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built in; a version with pay-as-you-go 3G data plans from AT&T will be available in the U.S., but those models will cost more depending on memory
• The Wi-Fi only version will be available worldwide in March, and the 3G version in April.

Anyway, as much as I whined and pouted, I wasn't able to manage a hands-on with the device, so I'm still formulating my final opinion on it. But other bloggers have plenty of thoughts to offer:

Engadget gets to play with the iPad and compares 3G costs on the iPhone vs. iPad.
Pulptone: How the iPad could affect the comic book industry
New York Times: With Apple Tablet, Print Media Hope for a Payday
MSNBC: iPad reactions: Nothing could have met hype

So, who wants one? I know I do :)

4 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not worth it if you already have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. I'll wait for later, cheaper generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to Pulp Tone Felicia. I tried to look at it from a perspective other than what we're seeing on either very optimistic stories or the other extreme. Seems many are just overall unsure what to do, see it as competition, and not a tool at all that would keep them in business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this as most useful to someone that needs to replace their phone and also obtain a laptop. It will be a harder sell to those that already have both. In any case with Apple's star status it will still sell well but the real question is will it be as successful as the Ipod or Iphone?

    ReplyDelete